Entomology, chemical ecology, evidence-based environmentalism and science in general. I like big bugs and I cannot lie.

Monday 18 January 2010

Lovesong for a lonely maggot

A poem that I really like by my friend Lorrie Hartshorn:

Oh lonely maggot,
Don’t fret
Come rest your weary,
wigglesome body
Come and claim
Your steak

My giddy ant
They are cruel,
Dearest maggot
But wiggle this way,
With your beetling brows
There is room at the bin for you.

May be that the other maggots are rotters,
Living together in pears
While you’re in
The dump.

But,
lonely maggot,
Wiggle this way
And I shall cherish you
Until the day
You fly.

1 comment:

Imogen said...

I love the last verse especially - one couls slip that out of context into an anthology of love poetry and no-one would think anything of it!